Call us today: 0800 0193 022

Bedroom damp caused by poor air circulation

Left untreated, damp can be bad for both your health (the mould and spores can aggravate respiratory problems such as asthma) and the health of your property: If any form of damp is left unchecked it can cause a number of potentially serious issues, including damage to decorated surfaces, or timber decay and even wet rot, which can lead to structural deterioration, and may necessitate major repair costs. More »

Penetrating damp in brickwork can cause major wall instabilities

Whether it’s damp proofing walls to prevent penetrating damp, treating rising damp, or dealing with condensation problems, damp proofing costs needn’t be prohibitive, though selecting the appropriate treatment will depend on the results of the damp survey. More »

Deep wall damp can be almost hidden behind plastering and wall paper

Penetrating damp: Once the source of the water ingress has been identified and repaired, treatments such as silicone water repellents, bitumen coatings, or a waterproof membrane can be applied to guard against future damp problems. More »

Brickwork affected by damp can cause serious problems for your home

Rising damp: Specialist creams are injected into the brickwork to form a waterproof barrier at the base of the wall; this will prevent water rising and penetrating into the building. Once the brickwork has dried out, the interior walls are re-plastered with plaster containing a waterproof additive. More »


Damp Proofing FAQs

Damp Proofing Frequently Asked Questions

Many people are confronted with damp problems within their properties and here are a few frequently asked questions to our specialists for you to browse through. If there are any queries that are not answered, do not hesitate to speak to one our Specialists on 0800 0193 022 or fill our online query form and our specialists will get back to you as soon as possible.

Can I get a quote over the phone for my damp proofing?

As there are many factors that can determine a quote for a damp proof course, such the size of the property or the severity of the damp problem. To receive an accurate quotation, the best way is to arrange a survey of the property. This can be simply done by calling us on 0800 0193 022 or completing an online survey request form.

Will there be a lot of disruption to the property whilst the damp proofing work is being carried out?

We will always attempt to minimise any disruption to you and your property whilst carrying out damp treatments. Therefore, where possible, we will install damp proof courses from the outside. However in circumstances, such as the ground level or access walls, our specialist would install from the inside. If our Specialists are working indoors they will always take care to look after carpets and flooring.

My previous DPC has failed, is it possible to carry out a survey even if it was installed by another company?

We would recommend that you request the company who installed the damp proof course originally to come and re-inspect the property as it is most likely to be under some form of guarantee. However, in the event that the company have ceased trading, our specialists are more than happy to carry out a damp survey for you.

There is a minor damp problem in my house and it is preventing me from wallpapering, if I was to leave it untreated what are the short-term risks?

Damp will cause damage to decorations of interior walls as well as potentially becoming a serious health-risk.  Damp within the house can lead to mould as well as poor air quality. It is therefore best to deal with the damp problem in its early stages before it develops to something more severe. A damp specialist would be required to determine the exact cause – it could be rising damp, penetrating damp or dampness through condensation.

I don’t know what the difference is between Rising Damp and Condensation, can you help?

Rising damp specifically appears on the ground floors of a property; commonly known to appear on exterior walls it can also affect interior walls also. Rising damp can rise up to approx. 1 meter above ground level. On the other hand, condensation can emerge anywhere within the property given that the right conditions are available. In some cases condensation can be misdiagnosed by inexperienced surveyors as rising damp if presented on ground level of the walls. Therefore it is advised that a skilled and trained surveyor is used to obtain an accurate diagnosis.

Why do you remove the old plaster when you install a new damp proof course if the plaster looks OK?

As a result of rising damp, it is highly likely that the plaster is contaminated with hygroscopic salts which have come from the ground and through the walls. These salts absorb moisture from the atmosphere and into the plaster.  In cases of high humidity there could be continuing internal wall dampness. By replacing the contaminated plaster with a plaster containing a water-proof additive it will prevent any remaining salts in the brick work from being absorbed into the plaster.

How long should I wait to redecorate treated walls for rising damp?

Once the treated walls have completely dried out, which usually takes up to 2-3 weeks, they can be painted with matt emulsion paint. If you are applying wallpaper it is recommended to wait 12 months.

I have a damp problem next to a chimney breast, despite having damp treatment done on it just over 10 years ago – what can I do about it?

The reason for this seems to be from a past problem with rising damp, either from the fire place hearth of moisture penetration from the chimney breast. If the original plaster on the wall was left on then it is possible the hygroscopic salts within the plaster have attracted damp from the atmosphere. Specialists would be needed on-site to inspect and correctly diagnose whether the problem has been caused by rising damp, penetrating damp, condensation or even leaking pipework.

I have a very old house which has damp on the adjoining wall of my neighbours. The wall is not an outside wall. Can it be treated without my laminate flooring having to be lifted?

A party wall can be treated successfully, depending on an inspection of the site and it may not be necessary to lift the flooring so long as it can be effectively protected.

Is there a guarantee for the work and if so for how long for?

Yes, as member of the Property Care Association, Timberwise – The Damp Proofing Specialists, ordinarily offer a 20 year guarantee for damp proofing. We are also able to provide insurance backed guarantees through Guarantee Protection Insurance to give you peace of mind that even if Timberwise cease to trade our work is still covered.

What is a CSRT qualified surveyor?

To become CRST qualified a surveyor has to be assessed by the Property Care Association (The PCA) on damp, timber and health and safety. A panel of industry experts test their knowledge on each subject and can then award the CSRT qualification if the surveyor is successful in the assessment. Our Damp Proofing Specialists are CSRT certified and qualified to carry out damp diagnosis surveys.